Monday, January 21, 2013

Seattle SuperSonics

When it comes to sports teams, Seattleites tend to favor soccer, baseball, and I guess football (now that Pete Carroll has made something of the Seahawks). I quickly learned that bringing up the NBA topic in Seattle ends up in bitter tirades about the Oklahoma City debacle (Seattle's NBA team was sold off to Oklahoma). This is unfortunate because basketball is my favorite sport to watch!

The latest news is that Seattle is going to purchase the Sacramento Kings and hold it out as the new local Sonics basketball team. While I am thrilled that our city is going to be an NBA city again, part of me wonders how this will go; is this a case of "If at first you don't succeed..." or will it be "Fool me twice, shame on me"? Note the ironic history.

On a side note, many familiar faces from my hometown (Los Angeles) are turning up in Seattle.
  • Steve Sarkisian: once a coach at USC, now head coach at UW
  • Pete Carroll: former head coach at USC, now the Seahawks coach
  • Phil Jackson: former LA Laker coach, Seattle newssources say he is a possibility for the open position as Sonics coach
I suppose everyone heard that I'm headquartered here?

No comments:

Post a Comment